Monday 25 July 2016

My First Time Giving Blood!

Hey guys,

This week is quite a different post, I am going to tell you about my first time giving blood. This will probably be a shorter post than normal as not a lot happened haha.

When I was born my mum needed some extra blood in order to live. So I've always said that I will give some back, I guess to repay them.
Although I don't think I was so fond of the idea when I was little because of the 'needles', I only had bad experiences with from the dentist. But as I got older I didn't mind as much.

As soon as I was 17, I asked my mum to sort it all out as it's quite an adult job. In my mind anyway. So I got registered, and got an appointment for the 21st of July. The week before, leading up to the appointment I wasn't scared or worried really. I guess I was ready to do it. You could say 'curious' of the unknown. Meaning, I wasn't completely ready to do it, I still had my concerns in a way. I didn't know how I would react to the needle, or the process.

Moving on. On the day, I was quite excited. I knew I was doing something that would help someone else out, maybe even let their mum live too. However I was still unsure as to how I would react to the whole process.

When I got there, I handed my form, sat with my drink and waited for my name to be called. They have to make sure you know the procedure, I guess that was more because it was my first time... They take a sample from your finger to make sure you are okay to give blood. They test for iron or something I'm not completely sure what it was. Then I get sent to another seating area and wait until they come to collect me again. This time to actually get some blood taken out of my body. At this point I was quite nervous, again just because I had no idea what to expect.

The chairs that you sit in are like a bigger versions of a car seat, and I must say the little pillow is so, so comfortable. I could've stayed there a lot longer. I'll be honest, when she was preparing my skin for the needle (cleaning it), my heart started beating a little bit quicker. I just didn't look. I wouldn't say it hurt - even though I did whisper 'ouch' to my mum afterwards. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. If you've had a needle at the dentist, they hurt like hell. This didn't. As my mum put it, 'it is just uncomfortable'. Which I agree with. When I looked at the whole thing going on my arm, it felt so unreal. Because as children, we never think these things will come as quick as they do.
I did feel like I couldn't move for a while, like if I did, the needle would move. As it went on though, it was a breeze.

Afterwards, I didn't feel any different, which is odd because I was expecting to feel something. Dizzy maybe, but nothing. They make sure you have a drink and something to eat before you go (which I certainly didn't mind, free biscuits? Yes please!) but I didn't even feel like I needed that. I felt absolutely fine.

I recommend you guys (if you're old enough) to book an appointment. Help someone out. It's not even that bad, I promise you. You will feel so great about yourself afterwards. Here's a photo and a quote which I think relates quite well to the whole experience.


Adios amigos!xo

4 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful thing girl! It's very important to help others how much we can. I'm so happy knowing that people like you exist and help! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love to know I'm helping someone. And aww:) Thank you xo

      Delete
  2. People often think I'm utterly bonkers because I absolutely adore the feeling of giving blood.. Afterwards I feel really light and floaty, which is probably kind of strange, but I just love that feeling, additional of course to the knowledge that you're helping somebody else. Welcome to the blood club lovely! I hope you're proud of yourself for this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I don't think you're bonkers! I think that if you love the feeling then that just a bonus or 'reward' if you like, of giving blood. Haha! Thank you and I am! Thank you for your kind words too xo

      Delete