Sunday 4 October 2015

Alzheimer's!

Hey guys.

So today I'm going to be talking about alzheimer's. As you could probably tell from the title - good one Katie. Anyway this is probably going to get really deep so be warned..

I think a lot of you will know but for those who don't, Alzheimer's is a disease and is one of the most common type of dementia. 
Unfortunately my momma has it and it's the hardest thing ever. If any of you guys know someone who has it, you will know how difficult it is just to cope. 

Obviously it is extremely hard for the person with the disease, as they get fretful when they don't know someone who is around, they forget recent events and sometimes revist the past. But from personal experience I think it is even harder for the family and friends of the person. 

At the start it wasn't so bad for my momma, no one knew what was happening. She was just another person who forgot why she went in a room. Overtime it just got worse, it was clear she had Alzheimer's. She started to forget what day of the week it was, what she had been doing, she started to repeat the same conversation with you until she felt silly and stopped herself. 
I personally knew she was gone from this point. And even now I am scared to go see her, I'm scared she won't remember who I am. I don't want to be there when she asks, 'who is she again'. Like I'm not there or not even her granddaughter anymore. It scares the hell out of me. 

When someone close to you has Alzheimer's, it is like losing someone twice. My momma is already gone, which is called an ambiguous loss. This is like where someone has mentally gone but physically still here. And then when her time comes I will lose her once again. It's sad, really sad and I'm sorry for anyone else who has been going through the same.

My mum, bless her heart, is so strong. She is her main carer, and for her to see how bad she is getting each and everyday takes some strength. My mum tries to make sure she gets the medication she needs however my momma tries to get away with it if she can, just like a child will try and get away with out eating their vegetables. My mum also does all of her shopping, so now it's either me and my mum or just my mum (when I'm at college) doing her shopping at morrisons, where as it used to be all three of us and we used to shop together on a Friday. I miss the old days, when she was herself. 

Also my momma hardly leaves her bungalow. I don't know whether everyone who gets the disease does this but my momma does. I know she must be comfortable to stay there but surly she gets bored of seeing the same scenery over and over. I know I would. She used to come down on Christmas for the big dinner however she now doesn't. Christmas just isn't the same and I don't think it ever will be again. 

Unfortunately I don't think you can cure Alzheimer's (maybe you can I just don't know - after all I am no doctor). But I hope in the future they find out how to solve it because it hurts a lot of people who witness it and the poor people who get it. 
I'm not sure what else to say and to be honest I have no idea what I just typed out, I just rambled mostly. So appologies. 

Anyway I'm going to leave it at that as it's probably already boring you and it's getting quite late. So I love you all.
Adios amigos!xo

No comments:

Post a Comment