Monday 7 August 2017

Something I don't Understand.

Hey guys,

How is it August, I know everyone says this a lot but seriously. I swear the first half of the year goes a lot quicker than the second. It freaks me out honestly.

Anyway, I have debated on doing this post for quite sometime now. I was starting to think the subject was irrelevant now but I guess it isn't.

So, you're probably thinking, gosh just tell us already. Well a year ago or so (I think?) Suicide Squad was released. Now, I went to the cinemas to see this with my dad and I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I left the cinema feeling pretty chuffed with the film.

Then came Halloween and lots and lots of people of all ages showed interest in dressing as Harley Quinn. Even I did a makeup look for the Beauties On Fire collab I did for a while.

I bet you know where I'm going with this.

I haven't read any comics, or seen any batman films or such. However when I saw the Suicide Squad trailer it interested me. So I can only really have an opinion from this one film, please bare with.

She was a badass. A strong badass.

There was a scene that interested me and I think got a lot of attention. She is sat on the car smiling waiting for the others to return. But just before she was crying. She went from crying her eyes out to then pretend to be okay for the others - if I remember rightly. How bloody strong is that? We all do it. My mum does it when she's upset but doesn't want me to know. We ALL do it. I definitely think this was a relatable scene for a lot of people, men and women. There was also a scene where she is in an elevator/lift fighting off people all by herself (obviously bosses it) and then just struts out to meet up with the 'squad'. Strong woman indeed.

Its only recently that the major film industries have focused on a strong female role. Don't get me wrong there are plenty out there but now its more of a big thing. For example, wonder woman. A wonderful (lmao) bad ass woman with a whole movie for her. FYI I enjoyed this film too. So it wouldn't be a surprise that maybe this year, women may want to dress up as her. And I don't blame them.

But last Halloween I saw all of the Harley Quinn's imaginable on twitter. I loved it. So many people loving this character so much and rightly so too. I remember seeing someone tweet about it, saying 'if they see another, they would flip' or something. 'Basic and no originality'. Something along those lines.

WHERE DO I EVEN START?

Anyone can dress up how they like, being who they want to be - that's the point. Also 'no originality' ?? It doesn't even matter. You don't judge how many vampires there are, or witches, superman's, pirates or I don't  know skeletons (ect.).

I cant express how much I hate the term 'Basic'. Starbucks was considered basic and probably still is but if you like Starbucks good for you! Hell, I love it! Doesn't make me basic, it means I like the drinks they do. People have their preferences and that's okay. SO LEAVE THEM TO IT WITHOUT SHAMING THEM. Okay? okay.

It just really baffled me. Why wouldn't someone support another person dressing up as their favourite character. A strong ass female or not.

Adios amigos!xo

No comments:

Post a Comment