Sunday 25 March 2018

#MarchForOurLives

Hey guys,


Before I get into this, here is a link to my previous post which was '5 Ways to treat yourself while on a budget', so go have a read if you haven't already.

Now, I am 'probably' addicted to social media. Just like most of my peers. We have grown up with the evolution of technology. I am grateful that I did have a childhood where everything was still chill, but I am also thankful for having my phone and all of my devices today.

I do obviously check all my social media daily and throughout the day. I often take a look at the discover page on Twitter because I think it's nice to have an idea whats going on in the world.

When I saw the news about the Parkland shooting, I couldn't even imagine going through that. I couldn't imagine how the teachers, students - children were feeling. But this obviously wasn't the first school shooting in america. In fact I have done some research and found out that there has already been 17 school shootings this year in America. (Source link here, also not sure how accurate this is) Hell, it's only March! All of these lives lost so far this year, imagine what the total would be at the end of 2018?

It breaks my heart.

But we are the generation of change. 

I think after the parkland shooting, maybe more people realised the problem. People are talking about it, standing up for what they believe in. Personally, I don't see a need for any gun. A gun is made for one thing and that is killing. Whether it's an animal or human, I don't think they're necessary.

After The Dunblane school massacre in the UK 1996, *two new Firearms Acts were passed, which outlawed private ownership of most handguns in Great Britain.' Maybe the same could happen for America? (*Quote from Wikipedia)

Obviously I have been trying to keep up with all of the news surrounding this tragedy and yesterday people were marching for change. I saw that Martin Luther King Jr's granddaughter Yolanda Renee King gave a speech. She says "My grandfather had a dream that his four little children would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream that enough is enough...This should be a gun free world, period.''
She then encouraged the huge crowed to chant 'Spread the word, have you heard, all across the nation, we, are going to be a great generation.' (See here.)

She was magnificent. I think it will be spoken about for years to come. I 100% agree with her and the crowd also seemed to. It will definitely go down in history, this whole movement.

There was another young teen who spoke. I only saw a small clip of this on twitter but she says how her brother died on school grounds with a gun. You could tell her heart hurt. And I cried. It's not fair. People shouldn't die in such circumstances, especially so young.

Emma Gonzalez, also gave a powerful speech. She even held a moment of silence. I was crying by the end of this clip too. You can tell she is going to fight for change no matter what. She's a fighter and I fully support her. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz6YarZ5upEfootage: here)

Personally, going to school in the UK all I worried about was if my friends would show up if they were poorly. I couldn't imagine being afraid for my life while trying to learn. You kids in America are strong and brave as hell.

Like I said, we are the generation of change. And I truly think those that marched for #MarchForOurLives made a massive impact. So here's to change.


'If not now, when?'

Adios amigos!xo

No comments:

Post a Comment