Sunday 2 October 2016

The reality of periods!

Hey guys,

I am actually really chuffed with myself. I came up with this before today, and I feel so prepared.
Although, I could've written this in advance but you all know that's not my jam! Before I get into the topic, if you would like to catch up on this weeks #BeautiesOnFire post, click HERE.

So today I thought I would talk about the reality of periods. I feel like this isn't a subject that you see being spoken about openly a lot and it should be. Why should it be a gross thing?

Okay, so I don't think it's fun when people go on and on about it, because I guess it's just none of our business what's going on for them. But people shouldn't be embarrassed about it either. It's totally natural, we all do it (most of us anyways!).

I just don't understand why it is used as an insult. Like us girls get mad, irritated, down, emotional any time. It doesn't have to just be when we're on our periods. So bloody (haha) stop using it to make us feel crap about our emotions/period. I know a lot of lads who do this, and it just makes me sad. They were obviously not educated very well. It's a natural thing our bodies do. It's what mums, sisters, aunties, wives, girlfriends even daughters, will go through. So don't say its gross, because its not. Don't use it against us when we're not in a good mood.


I know personally I am like a demon when I am on my period. I think everyone knows when my time of the month comes. It's mainly just when the pains hit. That itself can make you go insane. I would at least expect free chocolate because that helps! Apparently it has been proven that it helps stomach pains related to periods. I'm not sure though so don't hold me to it! But yes, the pain that comes with not being pregnant is unreal - obviously you get pains when pregnant too but that's not what I'm talking about. If you don't know, which you probably do, a period is basically your body getting rid of all the eggs  that haven't been fertilised along with the lining of the womb. I like to think it as a 'cleanse'. In a nut shell, your body prepares for a baby and if there isn't one all the crap that built up for a growing baby, leave the body. Not the most pleasant thing but still, natural.

I like to be by myself more. It's just easier, no one stresses you out (for no reason) and you can just relax. So if someone seems a little irritated I suggest just giving them some space and letting them come to you. This works for me anyway. Obviously it will be different for everyone, but maybe try it. However don't just forget about them otherwise they will get more emotional (I know, a lot of work). Because of the hormones your emotions are all over. It's like if you get left on 'read' you will have a breakdown. Take note that this also works when people none stop message you, It personally makes me want to through my phone out the window.

Also I've found that you are always so tired. It' harder to sleep at night so then you're exhausted the next day. And normally a period lasts around 7 days, so it's pretty damn tiring. If you want a tip, I suggest doing something that makes you tired, like reading playing a silly puzzle game on your phone, watching a film etc. Something that naturally, makes your eyes heavy. This way its a lot easier just to drift off. Instead of turning over every 10 minutes - literally. You could also have a hot drink before you go to bed, obviously not one with caffeine but like a hot chocolate. This could also be a lovely treat for you. 2 in 1 my friend.

For me (and I'm sure a lot more of you other ladies), it's so daunting to go to school/college/work and be so uncomfortable. If you have even the slightest belly ache, take period pain killers then. Don't wait for it to come as it can take up to around 20 minutes to work. If you haven't eaten, even longer. I remember once, I couldn't concentrate on anything and I was literally bent over in pain at my desk. I didn't have any pain killers and it was agonising. If your school allows it, always and I mean always, keep some tablets in a little compartment of your bag. This way you will always have a back up, for you or a friend. I also suggest keeping a pad or tampon with it too so you don't have any issues.

Another time I had a really bad pain, I had to ask someone in my class for a tablet and it was so nice of them to give me one. But I had no drink to take it with. I hadn't ever tried taking a tablet without a drink before so I was pretty screwed. My school didn't let you eat in class (for obvious reasons) but all I had was a treat packet of Oreo's so I had to eat them to a point where I could also take the tablet. What I'm saying is, it's also very handy to have a drink or snack with you just for emergencies.

Again, because of the hormones (bloody things...) we get spots, so many spots. At this time of the month we already hate the way we look, and then spots join the party too! Such fun eh? But its not a bad thing to have spots. They are also a natural thing so just grin and bare it. If someone says anything just brush it under the carpet, because they obviously have some sort of issues themselves and if you accept that you get spots, it wont even bother you in the slightest.


I hope this is some what entertaining and maybe even eye opening. To know its not a walk in the park for anyone. And some people have conditions that affect their periods making them even more unbearable so just feel for those guys. I wish that mother nature could just visit s every month and be like 'Hey girl, you ain't pregnant.' and gives us a hug or something I don't know. I love how this picture relates so much to this.


Periods, gross or not gross?

Adios amigos!xo

No comments:

Post a Comment